Piscos, ceviche and damn those are some hot tomatoes

Well, we made it…and here we are:

After gathering our bags at the Lima Airport, we couldn’t help but grin at the taxi stand where a sign reading “CHRISTOFER AAROAL” beckoned us forward. Not too bad for midnight on a Tuesday after traveling all day. We hopped into our cab and sped through the empty streets of Lima until we arrived at…well…nowhere really. It seemed that way at least, but after Frances, the hostal dad (no, not hostile, hostAL), welcomed us to his home, things fell quickly into place. By quickly we mean less quickly and more thoroughly, but they fell into place nonetheless. Frances presented us with a map of Lima and its various sections, and proceeded to offer us a guided tour of said city map for the next hour or so. Helpful? Very. Timely? Not really. We were beat.

The next morning held some promise for us as we navigated our way around the local bus system and ultimately found ourselves in Central Lima. Where in Central Lima, we weren’t quite sure, but we were there nonetheless. So yeah, our morning was spent wandering around Plaza Mayor, Plaza San Martin, and whatever we found in between. We managed to stumble upon the changing of the guard in Plaza Mayor which was pretty interesting, especially given that it was an Olypmic athlete honoring changing of the guard. Lots of music, plenty of guards marching, and a handful of athletes in the middle. I imagine they were thrilled. ha. Anyways, here’s a glimpse at Plaza Mayor…

Well, after an exciting morning it seemed like a good idea to find ourselves some lunch, so following Frances’ map, we wound our way through the streets until we arrived at China Town. Lima has a surprisingly large Chinese population, and we were pleasantly pleased with the ability of this lunch to further prove the theory that Chinese food tastes pretty much the same no matter where you get it…with one exception. It tastes just like home whether it’s from home or from Lima; HOWEVER, it does not taste like home when you fill your wonton soup with “tomatoes” that turn out to be the hottest things your mouth and your sinuses have ever seen. Christopher learned the hard way on that one. He cried like a baby. HA.Anyways, after that excitement we took the bus back to our hostel in hopes of wandering around Miraflores, the district in which we’re staying for the moment. We made our way down to the cliffs lining the ocean and hung out there for a while. Pretty pretty place. Logically, after wandering around such a pretty place, we decided it was time to reward ourselves with a beer, so rewards ourselves we did. Yum. And even more logically, after rewarding ourselves with a beer, we thought, what better time than now to reward ourselves with some dinner? So we did, and along with that dinner came a free pisco sour. Delicious. Chris ordered ceviche, and I, attempting to try something off the menu that I wasn’t quite sure of, wound up with fried cheese wontons. For real. They made a nice appetizer, but I have to admit the ceviche took the cake. It was delicious. Next up was a quick stop at the store to grab some beers and head home to watch the Peru/Argentina soccer match. Lucky for us, Frances shares a similar mentality and was there at the hostal to welcome us with some type of pisco/coke/lime/booze booze booze drink. Again, it was delicious. Peru tied the match and that means they’re still in the running for the World Cup in 2010, so needless to say the horns were honking outside our windows as we went to bed. Fun night.

This morning held more Lima bus adventures for us as we made our way south of the city to visit Pachacamac, the closest set of Incan and pre-Incan ruins to Lima. They were pretty sweet and certainly bode well in terms of our Machu Picchu trip at the end of October. Lesson learned though at lunchtime regarding Peruvian food: salchipapas is french fries covered in sliced up hot dog. Nothing more, nothing less…really.

Interesting note from the ride home: we took a little omnibus (kind of like a 15 passenger van but with less room and a dude hanging out the window hollering where it’s headed as the bus flies down the road). By the time we go to our stop, we were all the way in the back and the van had amassed a total of about 18-20 riders. Needless to say getting out was a bit of a trick. Chris equated it to being born again, and I have to agree. Just put your head down and plug on through until you’re out…breathe…ahh…

Anyways, here I am posing with my new friend from Pachacamac:

Well, tomorrow we’re headed north, though we’re not entirely sure where yet. Possibly a city/town called Trujillo. Otherwise who knows. The goal is to get to a beach town in the next few days…smaller town, fewer people, more hammocks. We’ll see how it goes.

Bye for now; hope all is well with everyone at home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *